Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Rant, rant, rant.

"Ang tapang mo."
"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"
"It's a good thing. Kasi pinasukan mo yan maski walang promise yan, and you chose to see it through hanggang matapos."
"Maybe I'm just stubborn, hahaha."

Yeah, maybe I am stubborn. He's just too nice to say it, hahaha!

So yeah, I came even though there wasn't any promise of a pretty good outcome. But the company of the people has been pretty great. Well, but it really disappoints me how the people in charge can be sort of inept. OK, don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect myself. And I've had my own fair share of screw-ups during my own thesis production, maybe even more, but this is a little too much sometimes, even for me. Heck, I'm not the only one who has noticed it. People have already started voicing it out.

The first thing I noticed was that the people who are actually doing the thesis don't even bother to show their faces at rehearsal, save for one. And even when they're there, they don't even bother to observe the rehearsal. When I was first introduced to the set designer, she was asked what the dimensions of the set was. She claimed she had forgotten. Uhm, this term is your thesis TWO, my dear, the part where you just execute the whole thing. You were supposed to know the dimensions of even just the venue during thesis ONE. I was appalled when we started rehearsing at the actual venue, and that was the only time they started considering where the acting area would be, how many people the venue will accommodate, and they only started measuring the stage dimensions right then and there. One question one actor had asked me was, "Did these guys even read the whole play?" I mean, yeah, their thesis is basically just the designs and execution of the play is just icing on the cake, but didn't they consider how the actors would move around the set that they had conceptualized? Once again, they didn't put that into consideration because they're hardly around. And their defense to that was "that was the design approved by the thesis adviser." Heck, do they still even meet with their adviser regarding certain changes that they need to discuss?

I didn't see any contracts for the actors, the creative team, etc. But we were guaranteed talent fee by word of mouth. That doesn't sound very promising, doesn't it? These guys could've easily altered the amount of our talent fee because of that, or we can just get away with backing out of rehearsals and the show. And the latter did happen just recently. One person had already backed out (just because he lost interest), and another who committed will only be able to attend rehearsal once a week. Ugh. The contracts then appeared just this previous Saturday, after at least a couple of talents had asked talent fee to be raised because it was pretty unfair for them to be rehearsing 6 days a week and get the same amount as those who attend less rehearsals.

Just for friendly small talk, I had also asked if they already have sponsors, knowing that it's pretty tough to get sponsors for a thesis production, unless you really have good connections. "Wala pa, naghihintay pa lang," was the reply I got. Oh. My. God. The show is only two weeks away and you're sitting ducks just waiting for them to come in. Please don't be like us who got buried in debts that we had to do a restaging to pay them off. And again, weren't you supposed to be doing that during the previous term?

Then there's the rehearsal process. Where have you ever seen a rehearsal where the director stands in for an actor? And some actors rehearsing with food in their mouths? Get serious, people.

Oh well, just wanted to get that off my chest. Break a leg, y'all.

16 comments:

  1. This...sounds bad.
    And for a thesis production at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hogi! bakit ganon? parang di na pala ko available. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, anong "ganon" ba ang tinatanong mo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh school prods. @_@; its the same on every campus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes. I'm quoting Sister James again on this one. I bet you know which quote, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *shakes head*
    I read parts of this out loud to a theater friend. He goes, "Kung thesis namin yan, matagal na kaming namatay. 2 weeks away tas wala pang sponsors?! Baka anak-mayaman!"
    I still can't get over the sheer...idiocy? stupidity? ridiculousness? of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, wala na nga akong masabi sa kanila eh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. why am i not surprised. :p

    this school is hopeless, y'noe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No comment. I've heard pa nga some other comments that their thesis adviser had said about them. It does show what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ANOBEH. Sigh... and to think these are the informed young minds who will venture out into the theater world after college.

    Sometimes, I wish the spirit of Tita Bibot would come and scare the bejeezuz out of these fools and knock some sense back into them. HAAAAAAY.

    Courage and patience nalang, Hoger. Here's hoping the next two weeks will be truly MAGICAL (coz they'll need a great deal of it to get their whole act together). Hugs and well-wishes, dearie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, thanks, Ikey. Yes, it really will be "magical" as you say if we all manage to pull this off. This isn't my thesis, and yet I'm the one pa who's worried for them, hahaha.

    Oh, with their lack of passion for what they're doing, I'm going to be scared for whatever theater company they will join, if that really is what they're planning to pursue after they graduate. I sure wish nga someone would knock some sense into these ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ahaha.i love it.
    ------------****stares at the blank wall***------

    then bangs her head 10 times.*morbid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wahahaha. Ayun lang, nagrant lang. Masyado akong mabait eh, kaya dito ko lang nilabas. =P

    ReplyDelete