Thursday, October 8, 2009

Afternoon visit to Atlantis, and other stuff.

I paid Atlantis a little visit last Tuesday afternoon. I had left Taft a little before lunch, and by the time I had hopped off the bus and was already walking to the office, I had forgotten that my phone was still on silent mode. So I never got to read Claire's message when I had knocked on the door and stepped in while Bobby and Chari were in the middle of a meeting. Eep, sorry, hahaha.

Surprise surprise, I had perfect timing, as they had ordered lunch from a sponsor. Yummy cajun chicken and fajita wraps all in this one huge platter that we couldn't finish... and there were already 8 of us in the office, hahaha. So a bunch of us ended up finishing it before we left the office at closing time.

There were a lot of funny moments inside the office. One of the most hilarious was the revelation of Claire's crush... by her own reactions when someone talks about the actor or even at the mere mention of his name, hahaha! Bobby naman was still as kulit as ever that even as he teased Claire, he still managed to tease me regarding an old flame and even suggested a double date. Huwat? Ano baaa. Then when they were checking out blockbuyers' seat plans, Lawyn even got me to anonymously text Miguel to just check how much tickets he still has to sell. Textmates na raw kami, according to Bobby. Ahahaha.

Yep, Atlantis is filled with crazy people, but I still love them anyway. I'm gonna drop by Spring Awakening again one of these days and just hang out at the front-of-house. I miss doing that.

Speaking of Spring Awakening, I have yet to watch it again. But of course, I can't really say when because Nicco had already warned me not to let him know when I'll be watching. So in case Nicco's still browsing through this blog (I know you do, hahaha), I'd rather not say. We did get into this interesting conversation about Moritz yesterday. I guess I'm already mentioning a few stuff I have in my head because I haven't blogged about them yet. He's dying to hear a review, but he's sort of "not allowed" to read any of them, hahaha. You can't really avoid both good and bad reviews, as long as you don't take them too personally. I remember Bong always skimming through reviews of his shows, then laughing it off. Kasi naman diba, pag may bad review tungkol sa show mo o tungkol sa performance mo mismo, dapat mo naman tanggapin na iba-iba ang gusto at pananaw ng mga tao. At kung collective man ang reaction, the best thing to do is to learn from it na lang.

Anyway. Spring Awakening had radio guestings in a bunch of radio stations this week. Last Tuesday, Jett and Nicco were at NU at 6pm, but I didn't get to catch it. I think Claire did, as she was fumbling with the radio before we had to leave the office. There was another 15-minute guesting this afternoon at 2pm at Mellow 94.7. Nicco was there again, along with Miguel (who even plugged his own shows) and Kelly (who gave away her character's story and ending).

I came across one of Rayna's Facebook statuses where she was sort of complaining about something, "the fear of growing old and not making the most of your gifts and your life." To which Sir Dennis responded with this: "try to think of it as an actress doing research for roles you still will play, whether they have been written or not."

Well said, Sir Dennis.

I was reading The Actor's Checklist again yesterday and came across these interesting quotes...

"As an actor, you enter the field out of this intense desire to make a contribution, to do something very fine in the art world, to use your pain, anguish, and life experience to lighten the load or make someone else's perceptions keener. You want the human race to advance out of your sacrifice of yourself because at least 50 percent of what you relive onstage is very painful. Even in comedy it's somewhat painful to intensely remember things that are already gone."
- Joe Warfield, actor

"There is still that mystery of an actor who can repeat every detail because of his work and his life. The best actors try the most things in rehearsal. They are never satisfied, always looking for more adjustments and retaining them, and therefore in performance they achieve the greatest heights."
- Gilled Gleizes, French director

"Creating a character is like building a house. You have to accumulate the material with which to build it."
- Charles Jehlinger, founder of the American Academy of Dramatic Arts

"Every composer knows the anguish and despair occasioned by forgetting ideas which one has not had the time to write down."
- Victor Hugo

I just had to laugh at that last one. I can totally relate, because there are always occasions that I come across a thought or something I've seen or heard, and I never got to jot it down. I sometimes forget my little notebook, or my pen ran out of ink, or I left my pens in a different bag that I left at home. Though thank goodness I can store short notes in my phone in case certain randomness come to mind.

I can vaguely remember this "actor's nightmare" that I had a few nights ago which involved me rehearsing in this theater with a bunch of actors (whose faces I can't recall anymore) plus Miss Tess, who was also directing this weird event. Labo. All I can remember now is that I have to sing this song that also had some lines in between the verses, and I had no idea what the lyrics were, and I ended up doing improv with the lines. Then I found myself in this backstage area which looked like a combination of the Carlos P. Romulo auditorium and GSIS theater. I was sorting out the RF mics and was helping out a couple of the performers (one of them suddenly happened to be Opa) with their costumes. Then I woke up when I had to leave backstage to go onstage. Weird dream.

Anyway, there are a lot of auditions coming up. Hope you interested people are prepping up for 9 Works Theatrical's Rent, plus Atlantis Productions' Legally Blonde and Xanadu. Break a leg, you guys!

4 comments:

  1. hi hogi, when are auditions for legally blonde and xanadu?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For singers, October 28th, 11am-5pm at Spotlight Studio. Dancers, October 30th, 1pm-4pm at Centro Flamenco. There's an event on Facebook, I'll invite you there. =)

    ReplyDelete