Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Virgin Labfest 6: SET A - Pariah Paraiso.

Last week, I decided to catch a couple of sets of the Virgin Labfest at the CCP, just in case I'd be too busy this week, or it would be difficult to get tickets. Betty had managed to get complimentary tickets for Opa, Jenny, Blonski and me, so goody, we didn't have to spend any tickets for the 3pm show of Pariah Paraiso (Set A) last Tuesday. Gigo had managed to come as well, along with Harold.

Just a disclaimer, I'm not writing this blog entry as a review. Hindi ako magmamagaling na theater practitioner like others who claim to be one, ahehehe. Let's just say I'm a theater enthusiast.

The first play, Isagani (written by Alex Dorola and directed by Vincent Tanada), was about a gay comedian who visited the grotto of the Baclaran church, opening the play by praying/talking to the image of the Virgin Mary (depicted as a hollow cutout downstage). The guy playing the title role was decked out in all white, as did the bench on stage right. When the 2nd character (the Lalaki) entered the scene decked out in black and had settled on the black bench on stage left, the symmetry was apparent and you'd immediately know someone was playing an alter ego, trying to accept his past. Easy to tell from the lack of eye contact. So it was OK, it was predictable. Though I guess the weird nuances of the alter ego could be more consistent. Interestingly enough, the ones involved in this production are really "virgins" to the Labfest. I have to agree with some friends, though, that this particular play is reminiscent to one play that I've seen during my first year working at the Labfest, ahehehe.

My favorite in the set would have to be Balunbalunan, Bingibingihan, written by Debbie Tan and directed by Issa Lopez. Gilbeys and Brandy are an odd couple running a promiscuous business. Eventually their funds get tighter so they take in a bedspacer, a young man that they dubbed as Whiskey. Missy played Brandy to Bembol Roco's Gilbeys, and I just love their chemistry. Missy's lines evolved from playful one-liner punchlines to words fraught emotion, and her actions mirrored all her acting choices, complimenting Bembol's minimal movements and mild demeanor. Paul Jake Paule, on the other hand, was OK in the beginning as the sort-of newbie, but I guess how his character had developed over time with the couple was pretty abrupt. When Whiskey revealed his true colors as a recruiter for another pimp, he then takes advantage of Brandy's slight vulnerability and Gilbeys' health condition. In the end, though, I have to say that Gigo's prediction of the ending was wrong. Brandy and Gilbeys still stuck together, still believing in optimism, second chances and hope.

I've been intrigued about Bakit Wala Nang Nagtatagpo sa Philcoa Oberpas ever since I found out that Riki was directing Carlo Garcia's play. He mentioned that he wanted an all-AC play this year, and this is what he got. The play was light, and opened with a musical number. It took me a while to realize that Kat was the one right up front wearing a cap, ahahaha. Anyway, the story revolved around the people that you might regularly see at the Philcoa overpass. I have no idea what really goes on at that overpass, as I always rush to cross it in the evening whenever I'm in that area. So anyway, a blind musician, a toy vendor, a hustler and a preacher are the ones who habitually populate the area, along with a policeman who patrols the place. When Mayen's character appeared, stating that she's there to meet up with a guy she met through a certain mode of communication, we immediately think that it's possible that she's meeting up with Ian's character, who also claims that he's meeting up with someone that he met online, because the one that the girl was supposed to meet is supposed to be wearing a blue shirt, the same color Ian was wearing. Predictable much? If you're pretty observant, you'd easily find out pretty early in the play who's meeting up with whom. I noticed that slight detail right away upon one character's entrance, hahaha. And it was also amusing how Riki managed to get people to cross the stage to do on-the-spot cameos the catch the actors off-guard. Sige na, playtime na kung playtime. For me, mukha rin nga silang naglalaro, but little things like those keep actors on their toes and keep their performances fresh. So I'm not really at all biased here, considering they're also my friends. Anyway, despite the predictability that I saw from that tiny detail, what amused me was that things aren't really what they seem. You never know who you're really going to end up with, and you really don't know what kind of people are despite their facade.

I sure hope I could watch this set again, but unfortunately, my schedule won't permit it. Too bad, gusto ko rin mag-cameo dun sa overpass, hahahaha. Congrats to everyone involved!

I have one more pending entry, and another one after that, as I'll be watching another set in the afternoon. Hope I still have time to blog it before the end of this week.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm... interesting deleted comment. I don't think I'm the one you're looking for, sorry. I did chance upon that blog and comments, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sino kaya yang nagdelete ng comment na yan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Thanks for dropping by! =) I think the one who posted the previous comment was pertaining to some interesting comments in one of your blog entries. I believe he/she came into the conclusion that I was one of the people who commented because I think you linked this entry to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes i did! Do you mind? Or should I delete the linked entry?

    Fats Roxas told me about the misunderstandings and such. It's quite confusing hahaha.

    That deleted comment here wasn't mine though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, it's alright, I don't mind. =)

    Yes, it was pretty confusing, and the comments got quite crazy, hahaha!

    Yup, saw the deleted comment in my email even after it was erased here. I guess they thought I was one who was joining in on the barrage of comments found in your blog. Things can get really crazy sometimes. =)

    ReplyDelete