Sunday, November 19, 2006

Bakeretta

Last night, I went to watch Bakeretta at CCP's Studio Theater with Rosa, Iam, Aris, Ge and Cris. Thanks to Ledi, we got gift checks to the show, cutting our ticket prices in half.


Was the first one to arrive at CCP, and found Bong hanging out alone outside the entrance, so we engaged in small talk while I waited for the others to arrive. Talked about upcoming shows, the dream of staging a local production of Wicked, our comparison of 2 theater companies' workshops (nyahaha), and even High School Musical.


Bong: Makaka-relate ka dito sa Bakeretta. Taga-theatre ka eh.


I had an inkling of what he meant when he said it, having read an email I got from TP's current artistic director via a Yahoo!group, as well as Mia's reaction upon watching the show the night before.


I just didn't expect that it would be that close.


Bakeretta follows the story of a small theater group, attempting to restage a play while struggling with their own personal dramas. I assure you, this is not a ghost story at all. The show let us check out their crazy rehearsals: with a director juggling a personal past and present relationships with two people from his creative team, as well as coping with the fact that he's been diagnosed with cancer; a diva actress who has a knack for tardiness but can't be fired because of sponsorship; an actor's hopes of being brought to Hong Kong Disneyland; another actor's struggle to fit into his costume, because there's not enough budget for a new one that would fit him perfectly.


You can see in director Ago's eyes how much passion he has for the production and the entire company. I saw his excitement as he casted his play. Throughout the play, I've seen several situations that were all too familiar. I even sighted an "everyday is a foundation day" moment, hahaha.


Bong was right.


Anyone who's been in theatre could perfectly relate to the show. My sides ached from laughing as the show progressed, and I felt tears in my eyes near the end of the play. I tell you guys, you have got to watch this play while it's still running. It really hits you right on the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment