Friday, March 9, 2007

3 days of auditions

For 3 days, I've been at the Steps Dance Studio for Broadway Asia's King and I dancer and singer auditions. Old and new faces come in every day as they show what they got in front of Bobby, Michael, Bill, Susi and Cassey. I got the opportunity to be with the auditionees right before they meet with the panel.


There was too much going on during these 3 days, so it's time to go back to bullet points.


Wednesday, Dancer auditions



  • I saw a couple of people who had already auditioned last year, and came back for another try.

  • Having to go back to the office to get a second keyboard, and ending up not bringing the power supply with me.

  • Kyla sitting next to me and saying, "What am I doing here with all these dancers?" and hearing the exact same thing from Tara some time after Kyla had left her seat.

  • Red being the last to sign up, thinking that he'd be the only person to audition in his "group" because of how it had looked like in the sign-up sheet.

It was great to see that a lot of dancers had signed up to audition. A much better outcome compared to last year's dance auditions. Some even came earlier than we did, including Marj. I don't know who had said it, but I was told that dancers have more discipline than actors. Hmmm... I wonder if that's true. Oh well.


While Kyla was sitting next to me, she even asked me about this certain audition. Well, I guess I've been asked that a few times already, but now that I think about it, I guess I haven't put much thought into it.


Thursday, Singer auditions



  • What's amusing was that I knew almost all of the people, if not personally, just by face.

  • Miss Berns telling a story about someone from Dreamgirls that I didn't know about.

  • Tara, giving the same line from the day before, but changing the word "dancers" with "singers," ahehehe.

  • Combing the area for a photocopy machine and being directed to different places.

  • Sitting in the lounge area with my lunch, just watching the BlueReppers amuse themselves.

  • Lana finding out that this is a production of The King & I, not The Lion King.

  • Mayen scribbling lyrics to her song onto the palm of her hand.

  • Arnold's sign-up moment.

Ahahaha, yeah, that last one was my favorite because it was so hilarious. Arnold had come in to sign up and heard Caisa at the piano practicing her callback as Tuptim. He sang along with her, not knowing that Tuptim was a girl's role. So when he had signed up, he wrote in the blank that asked for roles that the auditionee thinks would suit him/her, he wrote down "Tuptim," HAHAHAHA! As it turned out, he didn't know who the characters in the play were. Of course, Miss Berns just had to tell what he did to Bobby right before he had to come in. Ayan, na-callback si "Tuptim," hahaha. Well, at least he didn't forget his bag like the last time.


After that day, I went to Onstage Theater to check out a rehearsal of Gay Birds. I already knew that the play was going to be set in the Philippines, but I was actually surprised that the dialogue was in Taglish. As it turned out, this is the second play that Repertory Philippines will be doing in Taglish. But it was so funny that Topper had to play the straight guy, hahaha.


It was also Boyd's birthday the day before, so he had brought pasta that he made. Oh man, it was so scrumptious! Thanks for the pasta, Boyd! And belated happy birthday!


Friday, Singer and Dancer callbacks



  • Because it was only for callbacks, this is the quietest day.

  • Well, not really, because the singers were practicing all over the entire Studio 2, hahaha.

  • Ninoy putting off his sign-in so he won't be called in right away.

  • Yellow Cab pizza for lunch! And I added pesto pasta so I got really "happy food"!

  • Arnold asking for the address of my blog is, right after I had said that I can be a "notorious critic."

  • And another crazy moment: He had forgotten to take out his gum right before he was called in to the other room. While he panicked, I found a scrap of paper and he stuck it there, while I was still holding it and he left it with me!

  • A little mixup with the 2nd keyboard, having it brought back to the studio after it had already been picked up, just so Michael can do some work.

  • Forgetting the leftover pizza at the studio when the auditions were over. Rawr...

All in all, even though I was always on my toes and a bit spacey, I still had a blast.


I need to sleep. I think I'm developing a cold and my head's kinda hurting.

8 comments:

  1. tangena napahalakhak ako sa TUPTIM moment ni kuya arnold. hhahahah. tuptim? WHY NATTTTT!! hahahaha. omg.. hahahhaa. wait.. he asked for your blog's address? since when did he learn how to use the computer?! lolz. i'm so mean. hahaha. but i love kuya arnold, really!!!

    i can just imagine him sing these lines:

    something young,
    soft and slim,
    painted cheek,
    tap'ring limb,
    smiling lips all for him
    eyes that shine just for him
    so he thinks... just for him

    go go tuptim! i love kuya arnold to da max!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, kaloka no? Basta ang dami nya talagang moments in the span of 2 days. Hmm... that gives me an idea to write a new entry, hahaha.
    Ayun na nga eh, rinig ko hanggang email lang ang alam nya sa internet.
    Sows, napakanta kasi ng "We Kiss In A Shadow" habang pina-practice na ni Caisa yung song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tawang tawa ako sa Tuptim moment na yan. At in fairness, nakakatawa rin yung gum scenario. Hahahahahaha! As in, I can imagine na nagpapanic kayo tapos, pinahawak nalang nya sayo!

    Oh my! I can't wait to watch Gay Birds! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, kamusta naman ang pag-quote ng buong entry.
    Wala na, forever nang nakatatak sa utak ko na Tuptim si Arnold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha! Oo nga eh kamusta naman yun? Naquote ko pala buong entry!
    Shet naiimagine ko si Arnold wearing that Tuptim costume. Ayus! Hahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pasuotin nga ng gown ni Tuptim, HAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete