Friday, February 23, 2007

an art gallery opening

Came from Betty's event, the opening of the ALAB Art Space, about an hour ago. I was supposed to go with Nikki to the event, knowing that I'd really be alone if I went there by myself, because Betty will be all over the place. But plans fell through because Nikki wasn't feeling well.


Of course, despite the fact that I was going alone to a place where a lot of people knew everyone else except me, I still went to support Betty. After killing time in Powerbooks by finishing this book I started reading yesterday, I boarded a jeep that went in the direction of the venue.


The event began at 7, and I arrived about half an hour past. People mingling, looking at the artworks, and I went inside to look for Betty. Hahaha, she had me sign in under the "artist" list, so I got a green nametag that was meant for the artists. She let me mingle, and kept introducing me as a "theater artist," ahehehe.


I met a couple of visual artists through Betty, and one of them named Luis kept talking to me. Heck, I was alone, so I welcomed his company. After attacking the cocktails and a glass of wine, we just kept talking. And I got one of the best compliments I've heard in my entire life. Totally flattering comment about my eyes, one feature that I wasn't really proud of unless someone would rarely comment about it.


We got into a pretty interesting conversation about his being a visual artist, my passion for theater, the local art scene, oil painting, and even studied one of his friends' works that was part of the exhibit. Then after one comment sent as a text message to someone, and I suddenly hear some news. Oh my. Nice timing. And because I couldn't turn down all the glasses of wine that was offered to me, I thought I had one drink to many. And I'm not even a social drinker. I don't drink at all! After a quick goodbye to Betty, Luis walked me to the intersection where I easily boarded a jeep to Landmark, and headed home.


"Mali pala ang sinabi ko sa iyo earlier this week na pag-ingatan mo mukha mo. Pag-ingatan mo talaga sarili mo, pare, maski alam ko na sasabihin mo lang ulit sa akin na 'ganyan talaga ang buhay'."


Time to sleep. G'night world! Take care, y'all!

2 comments: