Tuesday, February 20, 2007

the search for the denizens of Avenue Q

It's been ages since I last went to an open call audition under Atlantis. I've only been to a couple of them, but I mostly just hung around and watched the people. I never had enough guts to actually try out. In other words, pampagulo lang ako , hahaha.


This year is different. It was a pretty long day, but I had a blast just working at the registration table.


I started the day by going to Oppen building early to check the venue, just in case some last minute changes would fall through. Thank goodness that didn't happen. After having the place swept clean, I returned to the office and Ate Sally and I gathered everything that we needed for the audition. Made sure we had everything, and we were off to the venue.


There was already a number of auditionees waiting for us by the time we arrived. We quickly set up, and soon after, we were joined by Bobby, Chari, Miss Berns, and Wowie. Lambert (armed with his crutches) and Chie arrived later in the day.


All throughout the day, it was nice to see a lot (and I mean a LOT) of familiar faces. Mostly friends, other actors I have worked with in past productions, friends of friends, and even online friends!


I'm kinda too tired to blog about the whole thing, but thanks to bullet points, let me give the random highlights.



  • Avenue Q T-shirts! GA had them printed yesterday.

  • Bobby calling me "Pogi" every once in a while whenever he calls me into the room. (This is all Pepe's fault, but I can't really blame that adorable kid.)

  • Miss Bernice ready to strangle me.

  • Jorel arriving with his Nicky puppet!

  • Hearing "My New Philosophy" 3 consecutive times.

  • Tara's "gago kasi to si Joel" message in my phone that I didn't get to reply to.

  • Rony's visit!

  • No lunch break, hahaha. But I don't mind. At least we still got to eat.

  • Robbie singing "I'm Not Wearing Underwear Today" and getting the same material for next week.

  • Marvin bringing a bald head of a puppet (that looked like Kate Monster).

  • Harold spending over half an hour hanging out outside the registration room before finally deciding to try out.

  • Raul arriving, all dressed up looking like a senator, and being the one to bring in a couple of resumes to the panel.

  • Miss Berns telling everyone the story of how Pepe started calling me "Pogi".

  • Bito dropping by to pick up her audition material, right after she went to Atlantis office due to our miscommunication.

  • Hearing someone do Cookie Monster's voice as I came into the room.

  • Gian getting a callback card that read "Christmas Eve," hahaha!

  • Me not recognizing Red, while he was standing next to me for a full 10 minutes!

  • Someone singing "Waiting For Life" from Once On This Island and Wowie and Chie alternately dancing to it and complaining about it.

  • Miss Berns and Ate Sally's loud but tactful voices talking to me while someone was waiting to audition.

  • Punching Jerald for the second time in a row, hahaha. Pag-ingatan mo na ang mukha mo, baka mapasali ka nanaman sa sapakan.

  • Always wanting to close the registration, hahaha.

After the auditions, Ate Sally and I got to hitch a ride with Manman (thank you!) back to the office. Long day, hahaha.


Stopped by Betty's office (which is actually next to Oppen building!) for a visit and check out the Art Space before its launch on Friday. Talked up a storm until she had to go back to work, then I headed back home.


I've become an impulsive shopper every time I see Book Sale. Hahaha. There was a Book Sale in Glorietta 2 yesterday and impulsively bought 2 books because I thought the gist that was on the back of the books seemed interesting, hahaha. One was a book about acting techniques, and the other simply reminded me of Peachy because the title was "Princess: you Know Who You Are" by Francesca Castagnoli.


Oh well, I'm tired. Tomorrow's a new day. G'night world.

8 comments:

  1. wow awesome! seemed lke a fun day! :)
    wish i was there too...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, yeah, sana you were there. Oh well, there'll be other auditions. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mukha ngang masaya! may mga friends ako ng gusto na bumili ng tickets for Avenue Q!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bumili ka ng isang show! Hahahaha! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. grabe lang ang pagbebenta mo ng ISANG SHOW hogi.. hahaha.

    so.. he was there again.. lolz. or was it him? i'm not so sure.

    Rony was there? yay! hihihi... shhh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, dapat lang isang show noh! Ikaw rin! Buy a show, hyukhyukhyuk.

    Teka, which "he" are you talking about?

    Yep, Rony was there, yay! Hahaha, I remember tuloy what Ian did during the National Theater Festival, HAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gusto ko nga eh kaya lang ang mahal ng rates nyo...hehehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darn... Hanap ka ng ka-partner para share kayo, hehehe. =)

    ReplyDelete