Monday, February 4, 2008

This year's Pasinaya at CCP

This year, I had told myself to enjoy as much of the Pasinaya's festivities as I can, because I didn't get to enjoy last year's CCP Open House Festival. Not that last year wasn't fun. It was actually a blast. Well, if I hadn't had those drama queen episodes, I really would've had a blast.

So that was my goal this year. I didn't really have an agenda, even though I told myself several times to study the day's schedule so I can map out what I could do every half hour (if that was humanly possible). Being the scatterbrain that I am, I decided to play things by ear, even though there were a whole bunch of events that I really wanted to attend.

Went to CCP early to make it a little before the 10am opening. I only got to watch the Philippine Marine Drum and Bugle Corps right outside the entrance because I was so fascinated by the drums. I wish I could play as fast as those snare drum players. Because they were the last to perform at that particular site, I heard over the speakers (which were conveniently standing just a couple of feet next to me during that time) about the official opening of the festival at the CCP open grounds. Saw a flash of blue while I was walking alone and followed it upon finding out that the blue shirt belonged to Sir Roeder. We had a brief chat about this summer's workshops before I spotted the khaki-and-camouflage-clad group that I had seen just minutes ago. Hehe, headed over to the cast of Kudeta to say hello to Tad and the rest as we watched (were they?) the Ramon Obusan Folkloric group perform right on the grounds before all the formalities of the opening began. Yay, the Pasinaya was finally open soon after Mr. Nestor Jardin made a contribution to the festival.

I parted from the rest of the crowd by the time we entered the Main Theater lobby via the ramp. I anticipated the crowd that will be using the elevator, so I took the stairs to the 4th floor to check out that "Learn Ballroom Dancing Instantly" by the Philippine Dance Teachers Association at the MKP. By the time I went inside, most of the attendees were early teens and middle aged people, most of which are female. And I was the only one who went there alone, hahaha. Anyway, we tackled the waltz during that entire half hour, and I stood out like a sore thumb when it was time to pair up, hahaha. So I ended up being paired up with one of the instructors who were just standing by one wall. In fairness, it was pretty easy, because I've already mastered the basics in 7th grade. I got a little confused with the natural turn though, ahehe.

We were allowed to stay for the next session if we wanted to, so I stayed put. Ended up doing the cha-cha for the next half hour. Holy kamote, I thought I got the hang of it after the basic backward step (what was it called again?), but when we started doing turns, I almost lost it. Hahaha. Then the instructor let us go a little faster. That was better. I didn't realize how tough it could be going slow at first because it meant learning and unlearning things all over again. And I thought I was confident enough already to do the basic cha-cha, hahaha!

After that, we were told to leave the venue to give the rest of the people waiting outside a chance to attend the next session. Grabbed my stuff and left immediately, because I got a text from Micah that she, Dyown, Zee and Joyce were at Mang Inasal. Before I managed to round the corner to the elevator, this man stopped me and asked if I took dance lessons before. Huwat? With these two left feet? I only took ballroom dancing as a co-curricular activity in 7th grade, but that was it. Then the guy asked me if I wanted to dance ballroom competitively and handed me his card so I can contact him if I was interested, then he asked for my number as well. Hmmm, I was suspicious at this, but I obliged. Holy kamote, when I looked at the card hours later, I realized that the man I talked to was the president of the PDTA.

Found Russ, Anna, Jen, Kat, Nicco, and Nicco's friend Chona at the LT lobby and briefly said hello to Nicco before they headed to a different venue and I resumed my walk to Mang Inasal. Micah, Dyown, Zee and Joyce had just finished eating, so after I had sat down for a few minutes, we returned to CCP to look for something to do. Ended up hanging over the ledge of the 3rd floor as we looked down at the Philippine Performing Arts Guild performing at the Main Theater Lobby below. I got so fascinated watching the Pandanggo (what, are the water glasses glued to their heads or something?) and the Tinikling (those deadly bamboo poles never fail to amaze me).

We then trooped down to the Batute so they can watch the Kudeta excerpt, but we got separated when we got inside the theater. I was the first one among us to enter, and grabbed my favorite position on the bleachers, while they ended up following the ushers to the seats on the other side. Oh well. The excerpt they did was the scene between Lieutenant le Grange (Tad) and Lieutenant Chan (Sugus) in the 2nd act, wahahaha. Kulit. After that, I sped out of the theater and into the LT lobby for the EJ excerpt show. To my shock, the line for that snaked all over the lobby and I didn't bother looking for the end, as I think it spilled out of the lobby. Holy kamote. To my relief, I found Ms. Yvette by the entrance and she gestured me to follow so I can grab seats for me and the rest prior to open house. Yay, thanks, Ms. Yvette! Once again, I got separated, as they wanted to sit right up front and I wanted to sit a little farther up (I hate the front because of the "neck effort," hahaha) next to Anna, Russ, Nicco and Chona. Chynna had said via the voice-over that they will be presenting "ang unang tagpo" of the musical, so I expected at least an entire scene. When the show began, Nar enters and begins the opening song number, and the rest of the cast are wheeled in as they stand on a platform on tracks. Rakrakan galore na, and it was so funny that half the cast were still wearing their Kudeta costumes. When the song ended, the audience clapped briefly, waiting in anticipation for the scene to continue as the lights went out. Then the house lights went back on. That was it? Hahahaha! Bitin.

When the 3pm show of Kudeta began, Gino and I decided to bum around as we think of what to do next. Ended up going to the MKP for "Learn to Sing" with the Philippine Madrigal Singers. Well, just one of them really, and I forgot his name (sorry!). In fairness, we did a lot in the span of just 30 minutes. That was a blast. I actually miss my voice lessons.

Bummed around with Gino and Joan at the buffeteria while Kudeta was hot on its 2nd act. Hahaha, heard a whole bunch of playtime as the cast emerged from the dressing room, like Mailes joining the opening scene, the Arawak scene, and the photo op French scene. Then Riki took Nar's place as seamstress in Black Lightning's execution scene. I didn't get to watch the show, but I'm sure they were so hilarious.

After the show, I killed time with Gino outside the conference room before they began EJ rehearsals, then headed for Harbour Square. Being the super(girl)friend that I am, I went coffee-shop-hopping as I waited for Tad after their rehearsal. Never mind that they ended super late at 11:30. At least I managed to make a huge dent in the book I'm currently reading.

Is it me, or did I notice a hint of envy from someone? One friend just mentioned a fact that we both share, and one person suddenly counters it by emphasizing something to be more on top. Insecurity? Jeez.

What a long day. But it was worth it. I really did have fun. Tomorrow's just to "kick back and relax." (HAHAHAHA!) Seriously, a day to relax is in order. We have to decide between siomai and dampa.

11 comments:

  1. Hey sorry we weren't able to say goodbye. We left early so that we can make it to church early din. I enjoyed the Kudeta excerpt. Wish I had watched the whole thing! Hay. Sana may restage.

    It was nice seeing you again Hogsss! It had been a while! i hope next time we can have longer chatting time. Di ko pa rin malimutan yung kakulitan mo! Yung "ang daming tao (sabay dila)" HAHAHAHA! Laveeet!

    And Hilary was looking for you yesterday nga pala! Sabi namin you were in the arms of your boylet! HAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kapatiiiiiiid!!!! You've found your calling. Aba, prowpeysyonal bowlrum dansurrrrrrr pala ang babagsakan mo. Achuchuchuchu!!!!

    I totally forgot about Pasinaya. Dapat pupunta ako, pero sobrang nawala sya sa isip ko. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seemed like you had a fun day, ha! Anyway, i didn't get to attend kasi sabi ng ate ko wala na daw masasakyan (his friend brought a car kasi, eh madami sila so i decided not to go na lang). but it's ok, my sister was so disappointed with the Bayanihan's performance (anyway, they weren't able to catch their performance at the Main Theatre (because they switched time with the Madz ata) so they just go to Concert at the Park and watch Bayanihan and the Power Dance's performance. My other co-dancers who attended the Pasinaya said that the Sari-saring Sayaw was a blast! I wonder if the Bayanihan (and the other participants at the Sari-saring Sayaw) held a learn-the-dance session also...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's okie. Haha, sinabi na rin ni Micah beforehand na kailangan niyo umalis for church. Bawi ako next time, sama ulit ako sa VCF. Hopefully next week.

    Nice seeing you guys again! Hahaha, kalokang ka-hyper-an yan. Dulot yan ng kape na binaon ko and the fact na nakita ko kayong lahat ulit! Kabaliwan talaga yun kakulitan na yun! Iniisip ko na lang na kinahihiya niyo ako sa pila nung ginawa ko yun, HAHAHAHA! Kaya pala humihiwalay kayo sakin sa Kudeta at EJ! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wahahahaha! Actually, frustration ko nga since bata ako ang ballroom dancing. Never mind na karamihan ay puro matatanda, wahehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, maganda nga yung Sari-Saring Sayaw. That was what we were watching from the third floor looking down to the Main Theater lobby, hahaha! They were great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. waaaaaaaaaaahhhh kainis naman! may repeat performance pa ba yun? :s

    ReplyDelete
  8. hindi ko to' babasahin. wala naman ako dito eh. hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aysus, nag-comment ka pa. Wala kang kwenta, hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete